Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Why should I cry?

I cherish Christmas Morning. I cherish the Joy. Love. Peace. Mostly, I cherish the Hope.

I am extremely grateful to awaken to a house full of blessings. I am grateful to see gifts under the tree for my children. I am grateful for the sleepy eyes that greet me, screaming "Santa came." Mostly, I'm so grateful for the peace I feel in my heart--especially today.

Indeed, I am full of Joy, Love, Peace and Hope today. But I also realize there is a lot more to this day than what rests under my Christmas tree, under my roof, and in my own heart. My thoughts go to others. I think of young boys and girls who woke up to nothing today. Boys and girls waking up hungry today. Abused today. Scared today. I think of them, and I cry for them.

I also think of family members whose hearts ache today. They miss their father/husband/grandfather, who unexpectedly passed away this summer. Some miss their mother, who had been sick and last week went to a place we call "better." I think of 26 souls. I have no words for that type of pain. So I simply cry.

I think of my mother, who is providing care for her husband as he slips from her grip. I think of my brother, who is fighting demons that have separated him from his wife and children and mother and brothers. Damn those demons. Damn them! Especially today.

So on this day of Joy, Love, Peace, and Hope, I've gone away from everyone for a moment to be alone and cry. To cry for those children who simply wish today they had a warm meal and a safe haven, let alone a gift from Mr. Claus. I cry for those who miss their loved ones. I cry for my mother. I cry so hard for my brother. My God, he must be lonely today.

I cry because Grace lets me. I couldn't always do this. I only knew how to hide from these feelings. But today I feel so many others pain, and it reminds me to live with passion. It reminds me to be Joyful, to Love, to be Peaceful, and to have Hope.

I cry because it's a release. Some might think that feeling others' pain on this morning is a curse. But it's a blessing. It releases me from "me" and puts humanity front and center. It makes me feel grateful. For life. All of it. It tells me to have Hope.

So to those who hurt this morning, I cry for you. I pray for you. I have Joy, Love, Peace for you. Mostly, I have Hope for you. This Hope is a gift you cannot see. You can't touch it. You can't buy it at Macy's. You can't get it online. However, you can feel it. Please feel it.

This Hope is inside all of us, just waiting to be grabbed. Sometimes we simply need inspiration to help us see and feel it. We need to open our eyes. We need to care about others and their pain. We need to cry for them, and Hope for them.

Hope, especially today--when something much larger than all of us gave us the greatest Hope the world has ever seen.

1 comment:

  1. This is so crazy I feel exactly the same way

    ReplyDelete